When Lukus and I first met we were working together at a restaurant/club here in Los Angeles. He was a bartender and I was a server. Cute, I know. Fast forward to present day and Lukus is the General Manager of a club.
Often, because of his background, friends and family ask him for advice on how to stock/setup their home bars. Lukus is quick to assist. So I thought I would share that info with you. I am all about exploiting the ones I love. 😉 Besides, a consummate host doesn’t just feed their guests- they wet their whistle as well.
Here are the essentials for a fully functioning home bar:
- The liquor: vodka, gin, rum, tequila and whiskey. These are the base alcohols for most mixed drinks.
- Wine: Stock a white and red option.
- Triple Sec: A common citrus flavored liquor used for flavoring cocktails.
- Cocktail Set: Consisting of a jigger, shaker, strainer and bar spoon. These items help with the measuring, mixing, pouring and garnishing of cocktails.
- Ice: Because who wants a tepid drink?
- Garnish: Lemons, limes, cherries and olives should cover most drinks.
- Glassware: Old fashioned (also known as a bucket), wine and cocktail (also known as martini) glasses are the bases of bar server ware.