Today really felt like fall in Los Angeles. It was cool (and rainy) and I actually wore a pair of boots and a scarf (although these were probably fashion driven decisions, not weather ones). With the advent of true autumn it feels right to take a closer look at a quintessential fall item: the pumpkin. Not just for jack-o-lanterns and carriages made by fairy godmothers, this squash has an identity beyond the pie. Now you ask, what other uses do pumpkins have? Well, I am glad you ask. Like a fairy godmother I come baring gifts: a list of unusual uses for the pumpkin!
- Pumpkin Spiced Lattes: Now I know your neighborhood Starbucks provides this seasonal treat, but they are not alone! You can make it yourself! At home! For all you caffeine addicts: you are welcome.
- Pumpkin Stew: One other pumpkin treat not found on a traditional harvest table, is pumpkin stew. This savory dish is a feast, for both the stomach and the eyes. It is sure to impress your guests!
- Pumpkin Centerpieces: A beautiful and festive way to decorate your holiday table. I am partial to the white pumpkins for this task. They are somehow whimsical and elegant at the same time.
- Pumpkin Pie Potpourri: Another Martha Stewart invention is this carved out pumpkin pie potpourri candle. It creates an aroma that is just as tasty as the pie, but without all the calories.
- Pumpkin Facial: Yes, you read that correctly. We are talking about your very own homemade pumpkin face mask. Vitamin rich, moisture rich, and completely customizable! This mask is sure to leave you with a healthy glow.