Gluten-Free is not just a trend, but instead a true lifestyle change that millions of people are adopting. And that makes sense, because more and more people are recognizing that they struggle to digest their favorite breads and pastas. Gluten, which is the protein that makes breads, grains and cereals elastic, though is not so easy to give up. After all, it is in everything: cookies, beers, breads, pastas, and pizzas!
However there is hope. With the help of my health food freak mother (I say that lovingly, its really a pet name) and a dear friend who suffers from celiac disease (remember Jessica Wenger from “Dress To Impress”?) I have assembled some of the best gluten-free products on the market. After all, giving up gluten doesn’t mean you have to give up your favorite carbs!
Here is our list:
- Tinkyada’s Rice Pasta: This pasta is better than its gluten rich cousin. I am not kidding. Don’t believe me? Even my husband Lukus (who is so against the gluten-free craze that he requests extra gluten with his food) prefers it to regular pastas. There are several different styles of noodle: everything from linguini to fusilli! Both the flavor and texture are ideal.
- Bob’s Red Mill: Okay, yes the Mill also offers gluten rich mixes, but don’t hold it against them! Their pancake mix is perfection! Plus, they offer a variety of gluten-free flours, grains and cereal so that you can create your own gluten-free concoctions at home. Bob’s Red Mill products were my introduction to tasty gluten-free alternatives and they are still a staple in my pantry.
- Sally’s Bakery- A Gluten Free Place: If you are lucky enough to live in Atlanta, stop reading this blog and head over there now. Not in the Dirty South? You are still in luck! Sally’s ships their delicious creations to most anywhere! My mother (who’s ONLY vice is chocolate chip cookies) is known to make a few trips their for their pack of six. And as for their breads: the honey nutty version rivals any honey wheat on the market.
- Udi’s Gluten Free Foods: Ummm… how shall I put this? Their granola is amazing. Throw out the other cereals in your pantry, because this is the breakfast/ snack/ dessert of champions. The granola comes in 4 delicious flavors and you are sure to love them all. In fact, this was the first item named when I we began assembling this list!
- Redbridge Beer: Looking for a wheat and barley free beer to wash all these delish gluten-free options down? This is your lager! No longer are you left with wine and non-grain based alcohols. Instead, you can once again enjoy to carbonation of an ice cold beer hitting the back of your throat. And because it’s brewed by Anheuser-Busch, Redbridge is available all over the place.
Still want more? How about attempting a Flourless Chocolate Cake to serve this holiday season? I promise your friends and family will be impressed (especially those who have no interest in going gluten-free). Just make sure you buy gluten free chocolate (read the label to be sure). Lukus and Ariel (my youngest sister) made it for Christmas last year and it was a hit!
(thanks to Musings Of A Housewife for the inspiration!)