My husband Lukus is one of those strange genetic mutations who can eat a ton of desserts and doesn’t gain weight. Go ahead. Hate him. I do. Or at least I am insanely jealous! All that being said, he does make some delicious treats. And one of the best is his Coffee Popcorn Crunch. Therefore, when he set out to make it yesterday evening I couldn’t help but document the event. And I even forced measurements. So go ahead, make the popcorn— but be warned: it’s hard to eat just a little!
- 8 cups popped popcorn (we use a popcorn maker that calls for 1/3 cup unpopped kernels and 2 tsp of oil)
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1Tbsp ground coffee (we used Starbucks’ Caffè Verona)
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup pecan pieces
- Preheat oven to 300*F/ 148*C.
- Melt butter at med-high in a heavy pot.
- Add brown and white sugar to butter, stir consistently so not to burn.
- Add cinnamon, cayenne, vanilla extract, salt and coffee. Continue to stir.
- Add milk and allow mixture to cook until smooth.
- Pour mixture and pecans over popcorn and mix so that the kernels are evenly coated. (I recommend using a big pot for this. Just be sure to grease it, because this stuff is sticky!)
- Transfer to baking dish and cook for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally so that it doesn’t burn.