First off TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!!! WOOHOOO!!! I am off enjoying the day with my husband…
Anyways, today’s recipe is for Spinach & Lentil Curry Soup. I made this soup the other night and about a million times before. My mother gave me the recipe, so I am unsure of its origin. That being said, I have made modifications according to my taste preferences… so it has kind of become my own. Regardless of the source, this soup is sooooooo good and simple. So, when Lukus specifically asks for it I am very happy to oblige.
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 ½ cups Onion, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Ginger, grated
- 1 heaping Tbsp Curry Powder
- 2 heaping tsp Cumin
- 1 ½ cups Lentils, soaked
- 7 cups Chicken Broth (sub Vegetable Broth for an easy Vegetarian option)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Diced Tomatoes
- 1 bag (10 oz) Spinach
- 4 Lemons
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot and add diced onions. Cook until the onions become somewhat translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger and continue to cook for another minute.
- Stir in curry and cumin.
- Add lentils and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Allow soup to simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and spinach.
- Juice lemon and add to the pot, season with salt and pepper as necessary.
We serve this soup with either brown rice (perfect if you are Gluten Free) or crusty bread. This is a great weeknight option!!
(All photos by me! Please link back and credit if you use them!)