With the advent of some warmer weather and a few trips to the beach (it’s nice to only live 25min. away!) I am loving a touch of the coast- especially in home decor. It just feels so seasonal! But don’t get me wrong. I don’t want to be hit over the head with it! It has to be subtle and smart- just enough to evoke the relaxing feelings of summer, but not enough that I confuse my home with a theme-y fish restaurant.
(Does suspended overhead count as being hit over the head? These are the questions that plague me…)
By adding a few accessories you can get the feeling of ocean breezes, without the smell of rotting fish (graphic enough for you?!?!). The key is to be selective. Pick a couple accessories- not every detail! I like the idea of using items that have a sense of humor about them (check out the “Gulping Guppy Ring Dish”) or a beauty independent of the oceanic ancestry (like the “Capiz Pendant”).
Where To Shop:
- Pottery Barn “Capiz Pendant” ($199), PotteryBarn.com
- Anthropologie “Gulping Guppy Ring Dish” ($18), Anthropologie.com
- Gemme’s De L’Ocean “Coral Shaped Soaps” ($48), GiannaRose.com
- SailorMade “Sand Dollar, Anchor & Stripe Napkins” ($10), Etsy.com
- Jonathan Adler “Anchor Pillow” ($98), JonathanAdler.com