It has been awhile. Hasn’t it? When was the last time you saw a recipe from me? Much too long ago, I know! So I am making it up to you now. And I am doing so with pie.
Not just any pie. This is a blackberry and nectarine pie. Ahhhh…. Now you are with me. Good. Just in time for the recipe!
Wait— time out— I am not going to give you the step-by-step of making the crust. This is for two reasons:
- I did not create the recipe. I used the combination of butter & shortening recipe from Simply Recipes, and it is delicious.
- I just lied to you. I didn’t use anything. Lukus used the recipe. He made the pie crust. Yes, he is on crutches. But he volunteered! Don’t judge me.
So I am going to give the recipe as though you have two prepared pie crusts. I recommend you make them yourself (or have your injured husband do it), but I will forgive you if you go the store-bought route.
Back to the recipe….
- 2 Prepared 9 inch Crusts
- 1 Egg White (beaten)
- 3-4 Nectarines (peeled and sliced)
- 2 cups Blackberries
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- 1 Tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup & 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar (divided)
- 1/3 cup packed Light Brown Sugar
- 5 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Butter (cut into pieces)
- 2 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 425*F/218*
- Line a glass baking dish with the first crust. Brush the egg white over the crust.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the nectarines, blackberries, lemon juice, vanilla extract, sugar, brown sugar and flour into a bowl. Mix gently.
- Add the ingredients from the bowl to the pie shell. Top with butter pieces.
At this point you have a couple of options: you can add the entire top crust as double crust (see the pie crust recipe for instructions) or you can try your hand at the lattice pattern Lukus tried. It is your call. The world is your oyster (or in this case it is your pie!).
- Once you picked the crust, brush the cream along the top of the pie and sprinkled with sugar.
- Then the pie goes in the oven. After 15 minutes drop the temp to 375*/190* and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
- Pull the pie out of the oven, let cool. And Enjoy!