It has been a very long time since I shared a recipe. For that I am deeply sorry. (I blame my kitchen that is not conducive for photography, let alone cooking!)
I promise to make up for it by sharing a seriously delicious treat. I’m talking a Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate!
What? You think you’ve seen this recipe before? Trust me, you haven’t. I am not relying on gimmicks. No chocolate powder, condensed milk or caramel candies here. This is the real deal. And trust me, it is worth it. It is serious salted caramel hot chocolate goodness!
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
¼ tsp Salt (use the good stuff)
½ C Semisweet Chocolate (chips are fine)
2 C Milk (I used skim—maybe it offsets all the rest of the bad stuff!)
¼ C Granulated Cane Sugar
1 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Heavy Cream
Dark Spiced Rum (This is for the grownups, but is not necessary for enjoyment)
Whipped Cream (Please make your own! No need to sweeten it…)
1) In one saucepan add salt, chocolate and milk. Turn to medium heat (careful not to boil!), allowing chocolate to melt. Stir occasionally.
2) In a second saucepan set heat to medium-high and add the sugar. As the sugar begins to melt stir constantly so that it doesn’t burn.
3) Once the sugar is smooth add butter. Resume stirring until the butter is melted.
4) Remove caramel mixture from the heat and add the heavy cream. The mixture will foam a lot (don’t worry, it’s supposed to). Continue to stir until the caramel sauce is smooth.
5) Pour the chocolate milk over the caramel mixture. Again you will be stirring to make sure the two mixtures are well combined. (Basically this is a serious arm workout!)
6) Pour into mugs, add optional ingredients (or not) and enjoy your Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate!