We are onto day 3 of this 5-day series, 30 Lessons for 30. And today I want to focus on Career Lessons.
Yes, I have a career outside of blogging—sort of. My actual day job is as a Social Media Director for a hotel company. And I have to tell you, I am pretty happy about my career. I must enjoy it considering I spend my “free” time doing something similar!
But I didn’t always feel this way. For a long time I had a lack of clarity in what I was doing and where I’d end up. Fortunately, my parents are very supportive and have given me great guidance. And, seeing as I gave my mother credit for much of yesterday’s post on Fashion and Beauty Lessons, I am going to give credit to my dad for today’s Careers Lessons. Trust me, this is credit well deserved.
Just like the previous lessons, these are ones I still have to choose to apply daily. And when I am not reminding myself, my father (or mother, or husband…) is there to keep me focused.
1) Don’t limit the scope of what you think you want to be. Remember the career landscape is always changing.
2) Work hard and always strive to be excellent at what you do. Remember, all it takes to be the best is to be a tiny bit better than the next guy.
3) Don’t go into a working environment thinking what can I get out of it. Instead focus on what you put into it. You’ll be amazed at how much you actually walk away with.
4) Remember there is a difference between jobs and careers. Don’t find yourself settled in a job, but be willing to take a job if it leads to a career.
5) Don’t blindly stick to the status quo. Just because something has always been done a certain way doesn’t mean it can’t be improved upon.
6) Treat everyone you work with (whether you work for them or they work for you) with respect. Most industries are small and you never know how those relationships come back around.
So those are some of my favorite Career Lessons. What is something you’ve discovered in your career pursuits?