For day two of my 30 Lessons for 30, I thought it only appropriate I share some Fashion and Beauty Lessons. After all, this is a very fashion driven blog!
Most of the fashion and beauty lessons I’ve learned are things my mother has taught me. Of course when I was younger I fought her tooth and nail on most of them. I would argue (naively) that people shouldn’t judge a book by its cover and if they did then I didn’t need them.
The reality of course is people build opinions on others based on their physical appearance. Sometimes this is conscious and sometimes this is subconscious. Either way it happens. The best thing you can do is accept this and make the decision to put your best foot forward.
These are my fashion and beauty lessons:
1) Don’t leave the house without mascara. Give people a reason to look you in the eyes. They’ll be more apt to give value to what you are saying.
2) Know your body. Not every trend works for everyone. And that’s okay! Wear what works on you- not what works on some model.
3) It’s always better to over dress for a situation than under dress.
4) Take care of your nails. People will judge you based on your nails (I have a horrible nail biting habit! This is something I still struggle with!)
5) Confidence is the greatest accessory. Wear clothing you feel good in and it will show. Likewise outfits that you feel unsure of will often translate as insecurity.
6) Don’t get lazy about the before the bed basics: wash your face, floss & brush your teeth, take down your hair. This all takes a total of 5 minutes! And your future self will thank you.
So there are my fashion and beauty lessons. What wisdom would you like to impart?
Be sure to check out Part 1—- 30 Lessons for 30: Relationship Lessons!