Something I appreciate about creating a personal aesthetic is that it is a task we are always growing at. What we were when we were 3 probably doesn’t reflect much of our current wardrobe (apparently I owned a purple raincoat that never left my body. I also recall having super girl pajamas that I liked to wear under said raincoat…). But while style and consequently our closets are evolving, there are certain fashion rules that can carry through. I am calling this list the 10 Closet Commandments. I looked into getting them etched on stone tablets, but realized the process would eat too far into my shoe budget!
The 10 Closet Commandments:
1. Thou shall keep your closet organized.
2. Thou shall try a new combination of pieces at least once a week.
3. Thou shall clean out the closet regularly of unworn items. (donate or store)
4. Thou shall only make purchases that contribute to your wardrobe. (purchase with a purpose)
5. Thou shall invest in pieces that will last.
6. Thou shall keep trendy temporary pieces to a minimum. (pick a number & stick to it)
7. Thou shall take care of your clothing. (altering, resoling, etc.)
8. Thou shall keep a list of items you need. (helping to cut down on impulse shopping!)
9. Thou shall check the mirror before leaving the house. (just because an outfit is tried and true, doesn’t mean it will work forever)
10. Thou shall create a wardrobe that reflects you. (you are more than a trend)
What do you think of my 10 Closet Commandments List? What would you add?