4 days into my 30 Lessons for 30 series! And while I’ve already covered a wide variety of topics, there is still a lot I want to say. After some serious consideration I wanted to talk Health Lessons today.
Now this may seem like a broad subject- and it is. As a result my Health Lessons vary in topic but all share one commonality: being the healthiest version of one’s self. Some of these lessons I knew theoretically and didn’t really learn until I had to apply them to my own life. In other cases I watched people I know follow (and not follow) these tips and it had a profound impact on the outcome of their situation.
Hopefully these reminders will be good for you too- after all, how can we be the best versions of ourselves if we don’t do our best to care for ourselves?
1) Food can be your greatest friend or your greatest enemy. Just like the old adage says, you are what you eat. So eat whole, eat local and eat organic as much as possible.
2) Drink lots and lots of water. I know. You’ve heard it a million times. But remember drinking water not only hydrates you it also helps with physical functions. Moreover, drinking water ensures that you aren’t drinking sugar and calorie filled beverages.
3) Stay active. Hate the gym? Fine. But that isn’t an excuse to sit around all day. Find an activity and do it. Your body needs activity to work at its optimum level.
4) Sleep. Oh gosh- someone needs to tell me to take my own advice on this one. But seriously, your body needs sleep in order to recover from all the stressors it is put through.
5) Be your own medical advocate! Don’t trust others to make all the decisions, be informed and partake in the conversation.
6) Don’t forget your mind. It should be just as much a priority as physical health. Take care of your mind and don’t take on more than you can handle. Just like your body needs time to recharge, so does your mind. So find something you do just for you.
Those are my Health Lessons! Again, I’d love to know: what would you add to this list?